photo courtesy of Robert Pike

James Ogden was born in Boothstown, near Salford in 1887. His father was John, a native of Oldham, & mother Alice who was originally from Ashton-under-Lyne. John & Alice orginally lived in Oldham which is where eldest children Elizabeth & Stott were born. In late 1880 or early 1881 the family had moved to 47 Haggate Lane in Royton. John was a coalminer and there were still pits in operation in Royton at that time. During the 1880's the Ogdens moved to Boothstown which was a mining town. There not only James was born but siblings Maria & Charles, James being the youngest. By the 1891 census they were all back in Royton, at 7 Dyehouses.It's probable that John was working at the Royton Pit at this time which is where Royton Park - and the town's latest war memorial - stands today.
James' mother, Alice, died in 1892 at the age of 38 when James was four or five years old. His eldest sister Elizabeth married a John Stevenson and they set up home at 30 Royley, the whole Ogden family moved in with them. By the time of the 1911 census James was the only one remainding there (father John had died in 1910) and it looks as if he was still living there at the outbreak of war. His occupation was a piecer at the Vine Mill.
James must have joined up very early in the war,  enlisting in Royton. He was originally a member of the Lancashire Fusiliers but was, along with others, transferred to the 6th Battalion Inniskilling Fusiliers whilst still in England. The 6th RIF had been raised in Omagh in August 1914 before reaching England in April 1915 where they were based at Basingstoke.
On the morning of July 11th the Battalion left Basingstoke on two troop trains heading for service at Gallipoli. They arrived in Devonport late that afternoon and then embarked upon HMT Adonia. A brief call at Gibraltar followed on July 15th and then three days later they moored in the Grand Harbour in Malta until 06:00 on the 20th when the ship proceeded to Alexandria. They arrived at Alexandria on July 22nd at 16:00 and then headed northwards towards the war on the 24th at 18:20. At 13:30 on July 26th the Adonia arrived in Mudros Harbour on the island of Lemnos. This was the main staging post for operations at Gallipoli. Yet another stop then followed with a visit to Mytilene on the island of Lesbos. Here they spent several days and were inspected by General Sir Ian Hamilton, the Commander of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force.
The 6th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers landed at Gallipoli on the morning of August 7th 1915 at 05:30. They were part of the Suvla Bay Landing which had commenced the night before and mostly due to the shambolic leadership of General Frederick Stopford was already unravelling into failure. James Ogden's battalion were mainly involved in a reserve role over the next few days, regularly under enemy sniper and shellfire and were also involved in fighting off a Turkish attack. James was badly injured and died of his wounds on August 10th. His sister Elizabeth, back in Royton, received the notification of his death on the morning of September 23rd. James is believed to be buried at Lala Baba Cemetery but the exact plot is unknown, a memorial stone to him can be found there.

Date of Death:10/08/1915
Service No:14610
Regiment:Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Unit:6th Bn
Lala Baba Cemetery
Grave Ref:Sp.Mem.A.8

‚ÄčRoyton Roll of Honour

The men of the 6th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers who died over the first four days at Gallipoli were:

COLLEN WILLIAM 25 Lieutenant from Dublin                                    
CRAWLEY  CHARLES 20 Private 14842 from Ilford                                    
CURTIS BERNARD 32 Private 16445 from Dublin                                    
McWHINNIE JAMES 19 Private 19895 from Lanarkshire                                    
O'KANE ROBERT Serjeant 12162 born Londonderry,enlisted Tonypandy